Here in Pennsylvania, part of the legal requirements for homeschooling involve submitting "Proposed Educational Objectives By Subject Area" at the beginning of each school year, along with our affidavit.
I believe in keeping these on the general/vague side. I have used these same objectives for homeschooling Alexa in 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade. I will modify slightly when we reach 7th grade. Feel free to utilize them if applicable to your homeschool.
(See sidebar to left under "Useful Forms" for an example of the Affidavit that must also be submitted at the beginning of each school year).
Proposed Educational Objectives by Subject Area
Student: ____________________ Academic Year ________
[The affidavit includes] an outline of proposed education objectives by subject area... The required outline of proposed educational objectives shall not be utilized by the superintendent in determining if the home education program is out of compliance with this section and section 1327. -- Act 169 of 1988
· Student will continue to read from a variety of sources, fiction and non-fiction, for information and for pleasure, both silently and aloud.
· Student will continue to explore the English language through writing, reading, speaking, and listening using various media.
· Student will gain more experience with various kinds of writing, both by hand and on the computer.
· Student will use various resources to determine the correct spelling of words she uses in her writing.
· Student will do mathematics work at a level appropriate for her ability.
· Student will use problem solving mathematics skills in daily life applications.
· Student will conduct her own financial transactions.
· Student will use mathematical concepts in free play and will use measurement in cooking and other practical situations.
· Student will increase her scientific knowledge through experimentation, observation, museum visits, discussion and reading.
· Student will expand geographic knowledge of her community, her country, and the world through travel, maps, and stories.
· Student will continue to use maps and other resources.
· Student will add to her basic understanding of the history of PA, the USA, and the world through reading, discussion, and field trips.
· Student will play an active role in her community, appropriate for her age and ability.
· Student will continue to gain a basic understanding of local, state, and federal government.
· Student will continue to learn about various aspects of safety, including the dangers and prevention of fires.
HEALTH & PHYSIOLOGY
· Student will learn about taking care of herself, including the dangers of tobacco, alcohol and drugs, and the advantages of good nutrition and other health practices.
· Student will learn about the human body, at a level appropriate for her age and ability.
· Student will have regular physical activity aimed at developing health, coordination and strength.
· Student will be exposed to a variety of musical styles, through recorded music and possibly attending live performances.
· Student will have the opportunity to pursue her own musical interests.
· Student will create art using a variety of media.